This document describes the usage of AFRA SmartStart. Please note that everywhere, where SmartStart, AFRA SmartStart or SmatrtStart.exe are referred we actually mean the main exe file of your application. Also the corresponding ini file has the name of the application. For instance the SmartStart for MyApp is called MyApp_ENG.exe and corresponding ini file is MyApp_ENG.ini. By default the application main access file is MyApp_ENG.mdb or MyApp_ENG.mde.
The AFRA SmartStart is used for automating the of version updates into user computer before they start a MS Access application.
Required. A small exe file that is usually renamed according to custom application name, like MyApp.exe. To use this exe the Visual basic runtime: MSVBVM60.DLL is required. It is present in most of the Windows systems.
AFRA_SmartStart does not require running any setup program or registration. Just copy and run.
Optional. File for setting up the ini file for AFRA Smartstart and publishing new versions. Not required, but simplifies the setup and deployment. Usually also renamed as MyApp_NewVer.exe.
Optional. Should be present if latest version files are distributed using remote server.
You can rename AFRA_SmartStart.exe according to Your application name. For example: ‘MyApp.exe’. The ini file is then expected to be at same folder named ‘MyApp.ini’. If the ini file is not present, the AFRA_SmartStart promts a dialog for setting up the ini file.
- Enables to define a list of required application files and their locations.
- Checks the existence of the local folder (the folder where the program normally runs) and to creates the folder if it is missing.
- Checks version of each file in the local folder and replaces an old version with the most recent ones from server. Registers components if required.
- Updates system and settings database from Inbox folder (the folder name is read from registry)
- Updates program settings in Windows registry
- Finds msaccess.exe in current workstation so that the system can start even if access is not on common path.
- Executes msaccess.exe with specified mdb or mde file and a workgroup file.